Detail Question Of The Week

Extension of a Non- Award Sector subclass 575 visa

Category:No Category

Question asked

Dear Ask An Agent,

I am R. and I have questions regarding visa application extension in Australia for an unpaid internship.

I am currently holding a Non- Award Sector (subclass 575 visa) in Australia as I am exchanging in Griffith University for one semester now.

The visa I am holding currently is only valid until 31 July 2016.

However, I want to extend my stay in Australia for my unpaid internship, which finishes by the end of August 2016. Thus, I would like to lodge a new visa for an additional 4 to 8 weeks stay as soon as possible while I am currently onshore in Australia.

Previously, I lodged a Visitor (class FA) Visitor (Tourist) (subclass 600) online, but got rejected by Department of Immigration.

Therefore, I am wondering which visa is suitable for me and is it possible for you to help me to lodge the visa?

I hope your company can help me to solve this situation.

Thank you

Looking forward to hearing you soon

Answer provided by our agents

Dear R.

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you on the matter.

From the information provided, I understand that you are undertaking a student exchange program at G. University. I also note that your current visa expires on 31st of July 2016 and you wish to extend your stay in Australia for at least until the end of August to finish an internship.

Your attempt to obtain a visitor visa for this purpose was most likely refused because a visitor visa does not allow you to work in Australia even if it is unpaid, so I hope you understand very well now that a visitor visa is not an option for you to resolve this.

A more suitable option for you will be to apply for a working holiday visa subclass 417. This visa is for those who wish to spend time holidaying in Australia and also be able to fund their travel by incidental work. As you hold a passport from HKG SAR of The PRC you fall under the category of eligible passport holders for working holiday visa subclass 417.

This visa allows you to:
- Stay in Australia for up to 12 months
- Work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
- Study for up to four months
- Leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid

Some basic criteria for this visa is:
- You must be between 18 and 31 years of age
- Genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia
- Must have enough funds to support yourself, usually AUD 5000
- Must be able to fund your return airfare
- Must pass health requirements
- Must meet character requirements

You cannot include any dependent children on this visa.

You find more detailed and specific information and how to progress in the attached file.

Thank you for using Ask an Agent. If you need further services from myself or a registered migration agent, please contact Amy at