Detail Question Of The Week

Specialist in Anesthesia - Skills Assessment by ANZCA - sc 189 visa application

Category:No Category

Question asked

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a specialist in Anesthesia. I already had the assessment by the ANZCA.

According to the assessment I have to do 24 months of supervised clinical practice. I am not registered with the MBA and I don´t have an employer yet.

My aim is the permanent residency (189 visa) in Australia for me and my family.

Several months ago I consulted an immigration agent who said after the ANZCA assessment it will be possible to receive the 189 visa.

However, I am not sure about that.

Is this really true? Can I apply for permanent residency (189 visa) now?

Thanks for your help.


Answer provided by our agents

Dear F.

Thank you for your inquiry about the skills assessment requirement for a Skilled?Independent (Permanent) (Class SI/189) visa application.

As stated in cl. 189.212 of Schedule 2 of the Australian Migration Regulations 1964 (Cth) the relevant assessing authority must have assessed the main applicant's skills as suitable for the applicant's nominated skilled occupation at the time of invitation to apply.

The relevant assessing authority assesses whether the applicant's skills are suitable for the nominated occupation and provides the applicant with written advice on the outcome of the assessment. Assessing authorities may set different standards for skills assessments.

I understand you intend to lodge an Expression of Interest and apply for a Skilled Independent Visa using Anesthetist / ANZSCO 253211 as your nominated occupation.

Presently, the relevant assessing authority for above occupation is the Medical Board of Australia (MBA).

The MBA stipulates that international medical graduates (IMGs) whose medical qualifications are from a medical school outside of Australia or New Zealand and who are seeking registration to practice medicine in Australia must provide evidence of eligibility to undertake one of the following
assessment pathways: Competent Authority, Standard or Specialist pathway.

However, as per the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) policy, for doctors, evidence of full registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) may be another skills assessment option.

DIBP will usually accept one of the following certificates issued by AHPRA as evidence of full registration:
- full/unconditional/general medical registration
- conditional specialist registration, this registration allows the person to practice only in their particular specialty, with no further training or supervision requirements.

It appears that an assessment by ANZCA currently does not suffice to meet DIBP’s skills assessment criterion. Thus, an invitation by DIBP to lodge a visa application (sc. 189) may presently be unlikely.

I hope the above answers your question submitted to ASK AN AGENT.

If you need further services from myself or a registered migration agent, please contact Amy at or visit and don't forget to mention your Question ID so that I can keep providing immigration services to you.

I wish you a happy and prosperous new year 2017.

Migration Agent