Detail Question Of The Week

457 visa - moving on to Permanent Residency - Teacher

Category:Business Sponsorships

Question asked

I'm currently on a 457 visa and have been working in the current company for almost one year. I would like to apply for a PR. However, i do not have a bachelors degree but had recently completed a one year masters degree in applied behavior analysis. I work with children with special needs as an early intervention program supervisor. I have more than 10 years experience (overseas) in this field.

I would like to know if I would be eligible to apply for a PR now?


Answer provided by our agents

Hi N.

Thank you for your question. I need some further information to ensure I answer it accurately. Could you please advise the following:

1. Your age
2. Are you fluent in English? What is your level of competency?
3. Did you undertake you studies in Australia? Could you provide a link to the course you undertook?
4. Is your work similar to that of a 'social worker' or alternatively a 'special needs teacher?' or neither?
5. Which postcode do you live in/where do you plan to live if and when you get PR?
6. Which country are you from/passport country?
7. Do you have any health or character issues?

------------------------------- Response from Migration Agent ------------------------

Hi N.

Thank you for providing the extra information and documents. I have conducted a thorough assessment of your situation against all Australian permanent work visas.

Skills Assessment:
The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) is responsible for assessing skills for special needs teachers. The requirements for passing the skills assessment is set out in the attached document. One of the requirements is the completion of study that is “comparable to at least four years full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) level study in Australia, that results in a qualification.” As such, you would need to have completed a minimum of four years of study at a minimum of the advanced diploma level. You also need to have the relevant registration/license and need to score 7 in IELTS for both reading and writing, and 8 for speaking and listening.

Once you have worked for 2 years in your current 457 position, you will be eligible for the Subclass 186 permanent residency visa. This visa requires employer nomination, so I suggest you have a discussion with your employer in the near future. Details about the visa are as follows.

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) – Temporary Resident Transition Stream:
• Permanent residence visa for skilled workers
• To be eligible, you need to have worked for two years in your 457 nominated position
• The nominated employment (for the 186 visa) must be full-time and available for at least 2 years
• No skills assessment required
• You must be registered, licensed or a member of the relevant professional body

Please feel free to email me if you seek further clarification about the information provided. You will also be given an option to contact me to hire my services once this question has been finalized. If you need further services from myself or a registered migration agent, please contact Amy at or visit

Migration Agent