Detail Question Of The Week

I want to move from my 457 visa to permanent residency under the new rules!

Category:Business Sponsorships

Question asked

Hi, I'm G., in this moment I'm working in a Italian restaurant under a business sponsor. My visa (457) was granted on 24 November 2016, my questions is, if on November 2018 I could apply for the permanent resident.

I'm very grateful if you can help me to find an answer.

Best regards

Answer provided by our agents

Hi G.

Thanks for your question.

Have you been with the same employer the whole time? If so, In November 2018 you may be able to permanent residency under the Subclass 186 Temporary Residence Transition stream, because you will have been with your current employer for 2 years. If you have taken any unpaid leave throughout this time it won't count towards the 2 years. There is the possibility that the requirement will change to 3 years, but that is unlikely to change before November 2018.

You must be under 50 years of age. You will need to show that you have Competent English, which is a score of at least 6 in each component of an IELTS test. You will also need to meet the health and character requirements, so you will be asked to do a health assessment and provide police clearance certificates for any country you have lived in for more than 12 months cumulatively over the past 10 years.

It's a good idea to confirm with your employer that they're willing to nominate you. If you change employers the Subclass 186 Temporary Residence Transition stream will no longer be an option.

I'm happy to help you throughout the application process. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

If you need further services from myself, please contact Amy at or visit - there is currently a special on Partner visas. Remember to mention your Question ID so that I can keep providing immigration services to you.

Migration Agent