Detail Question Of The Week

I wish to apply for a temporary graduate visa (485) but my student visa is expired?

Category:No Category

Question asked

Hi, my student visa expired on 18 December 2017 and I had returned back to my home country. However, I wish to apply for a temporary graduate visa (485). And an immigration agent told me that I can apply for it offshore. However, after much reading on the website, it appears I need to be onshore for the application. Can I apply for a tourist visa and then apply for the graduate visa?

Answer provided by our agents

Dear W.,

Assuming that you meet the eligibility criteria for a visitor visa (subclass 600) (Tourist Stream), whether you will be permitted to make a further onshore visa application will depend on whether your visa grant has been imposed with a ‘No Further Stay’ condition. A ‘No Further Stay’ condition is a condition that prevents the visa holder from applying for many temporary and permanent visas while they are in Australia.

Condition 8503 is a mandatory condition on the following visitor visas:
• Visitor visa (subclass 600) (Sponsored Family Stream); and
• Visitor visa (subclass 600) (Approved Destination Stream); and
• Visitor visa (subclass 600) (Tourist Stream) if sponsorship has been imposed on it.

If your visitor visa is not subject to condition 8503, you will be able to apply for the graduate visa in Australia. Otherwise, you cannot apply for a further graduate visa in Australia.

If you need further services from myself or a registered migration agent, please contact Amy at or visit - and don’t forget to mention your Question ID so that I can keep providing immigration services to you.

Best Regards,
Migration Agent