Detail Question Of The Week

How can I apply for Investment Visa?

Category:No Category

Question asked

Hi. My name is M.R. Currently I'm in Malaysia. I came back to Malaysia in June 2018 for my wedding.

I was a student in Australia from November 2014 to May 2018. I was allowed to run a Transport Business in Melbourne, Victoria. I started the business in December 2015. Business yearly turn over is around AUD 80,000 to AUD 100,000. My assets value in Melbourne is about AUD 100,000.

My cousin is running the business temporarily while I'm away. I'm planning to expand the business around Victoria. My business partner and I are ready to invest.

My question to you is, are there any chances for me to apply a Permanent Residency through my Investment and Transportation Business?

What are the procedures?

Hope to hear from you sooner.


Answer provided by our agents

Hi M,

Thank you for contacting us.

Based on the given information, you do not meet the requirements for a Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) - Business Innovation Stream. The requirements for this stream is the lowest compared to other Business Visas.
Below is the minimum requirements.

You must:
be under 55 years of age, although a state or territory can waive this requirement if your proposed business will be of exceptional economic benefit to the nominating state or territory.
score at least 65 on the points test. Please see the Points test tab on this webpage for further information.
for two out of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply, have had an ownership interest in an established business or businesses that had at least AUD500 000 turnover in each of those years
own at least one of the following percentage of your nominated main business:
- 51 per cent, if the business has a turnover of less than AUD400 000 per year
- 30 per cent, if the business has a turnover of AUD400 000 or more per year
- 10 per cent, if the business is a publicly listed company
have an overall successful business career
have a genuine desire to continuously own and maintain a management role in a business in Australia.

At the time of invitation, you, your partner, or you and your partner combined must have total net business and personal assets of at least AUD800 000 that are lawfully acquired and available for legal transfer to Australia within two years of the visa being granted.

However, you may be eligible to apply for other sponsorship visas 482/186/187 or Skilled Independent visa under the General Skilled Migration Scheme. As you have just finished your study, you may consider to apply for 485 Graduate Visa if you meet the criteria.

The Australian Migration Agent and Immigration Lawyer Association offers a new way to obtain comprehensive and tailored migration advice. It is obligation free and you can ask me all your questions online.
You will be given an option to contact me to engage my services once this question has been finalized.

Thank you for using Ask an Agent. If you need further services from myself, please contact Amy at or visit and don’t forget to mention your Question ID so that I can keep providing immigration services to you.


Migration Agent