Question of the Week

Subclass 482 visa or subclass 186 visa - what is the best option for me?

Category: Visa for Australia

Question asked

I'm in a 482 short-term visa (cook) about to expire in 2 months.

August last year, I got promoted to Sous Chef, but the employer did not upgrade my 482 visa to medium-term. I have now been a Sous Chef for my employer for a whole year while still holding a short-term 482 visa.

My employer just offered me to apply medium-term 482 visa sponsorship with my current visa's incoming expiration. I was thinking about the 186 visa ENS pathway, which would require 3 years as a Chef with my employer before being eligible for it.

I was wondering if we could claim that 1 year of being a Sous Chef to cut down the 186 eligibility to 2 years in this 482 medium-term visa.

Answer provided by Migration Agent

Dear N,

Thank you for your question.

Yes, you can get your experience assessed by the relevant skills assessment authority (TRA) and claim the years they assess positive as a chef. You can then consider Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) (Direct Entry Stream). You still need 3 years of highly relevant experience to pass the skills assessment for 186 direct entry. The skills assessment body does not consider that you were on a 482 visa and sponsored as a Cook as long as you can prove you have worked as a Chef, you can get assessed for the occupation. Please note you need to get on another 482 visa until you meet the requirement. However, you can conduct the skills assessment to secure the one-year working experience as a chef. Please be advised we can assess your CV and help you with the skills assessment process.

Further, if you do get the positive skills assessment, you may consider general skill migration. For example, Western Australia.

The Western Australian skilled migration occupation list (WASMOL) lists occupations that are available for state nomination through the General Stream. The list has been recently expanded to include Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. The occupation of Chef is on Schedule 2. Requirements for occupations listed on Schedule 2:

  • currently residing in Australia

  • meet the relevant English language requirements

  • as the occupation of Chef is an NZSCO Major Occupation Group 3, you will only need to show competent English

  • must have a contract of employment for full-time employment in WA for at least 12 months

  • demonstrate sufficient settlement funds

You may be eligible for state nomination in Western Australia if you find an employer there who can employ you for 12 months on a full-time basis.

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) (Direct Entry Stream)

The purpose of the subclass 186 visa is to allow Australian employers to fill highly skilled positions with suitably qualified migrants. The scheme is designed to assist employers who are unable to meet their skilled Australian workforce needs from the local labour market. The business seeking to employ you must:

  • be actively and lawfully operating in Australia

  • genuinely need you to work in the nominated position under its direct control, and have the capacity to employ you in this position for at least two years

The position to be filled must be:

  • be full-time and available for at least 2 years from the time your visa is granted

  • be an occupation included on the current Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)

  • have a salary that is:

    • at least $53,900 per year (excluding any non-monetary benefits) AND

    • at least the annual market salary rate (AMSR) for your nominated occupation

  • be subject to conditions of employment (other than earnings) that are no worse than those that apply (or would apply) to Australians performing equivalent work in the same location

Please note that certain occupations on this list will be subject to additional requirements. You can check your occupation on the Skilled Occupation List to determine if any caveats are applicable to your nominated occupation.

  • have competent English

  • have your skills assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation by the relevant skills assessing authority

  • have at least three years of full-time experience in your nominated occupation

  • be under 45 years of age

  • meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements

  • satisfy the relevant health and character criteria

I hope this has helped. If you need you can ask for a clarification question through this service. Thank you for using Ask-An-Agent. If you need further services from myself you can always message me using the Ask-An-Agent messenger. You can also reach me by contacting Amy at – and don’t forget to mention your question ID so that I can keep providing immigration services to you.

Migration Agent

Connect with Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers

75 Agents and Lawyers are currently online. View profiles and compare ratings before hiring your migration agent.

Ask-An-Agent is the trusted online marketplace connecting consumers and businesses with migration agents and immigration lawyers.

It's never been easier.

Connect with Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers today

List of Migration Agents


Or search the Immigration Blog for the latest updates

Immigration Blog


What is the difference between choosing Ask-An-Agent over Facebook Groups or other Forums?

Facebook Groups, Blogs and Forums are a great place for meeting people although they’re still the online equivalent of an anonymous village pub.

Answers on Facebook Groups, Blogs and Forums

  • are provided by complete strangers you may not know.
  • locked in time and may be outdated.
  • may not fit your unique set of circumstances.


Information provided by unqualified strangers is unreliable. Trusting it may be harmful to you.

It is your future and we believe you deserve qualified and affordable legal advice before preparing your visa application and spending your dollars.


Know that we have got your back

Migration Agents answering your Questions within Minutes

You get qualified legal answers online, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

Ask your questions online from the comfort of your home. A migration agent or immigration lawyer will provide a qualified and reliable answer in writing and by email to your inbox.

Ask your Questions


Get the Ask-An-Agent app

It is fast, easy and free!



The Ask-An-Agent community

Whether you’re hiring a migration agent or post your migration questions, know that we’ve got your back every step of the way.

Trust and Safety


Migration Agent Fees


Ask-An-Agent community members are celebrating the best migration agents, immigration advisors and immigration lawyers.

Congratulations to all the 2022 Immigration Choice Awards winners.

Immigration Choice Awards 2022


Meet your Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers

View migration agent profiles. Read reviews from other community members who have already hired a migration agent.


Quick Links:

Migration Agents in Brisbane

Migration Agents in Melbourne

Migration Agents in Perth

Migration Agents in Sydney

Or meet with an Agent near you: Find Migration Agents near me


Promotion from our Partner

Info on ads