Question of the Week

I need to know about travel restrictions for my subclass 190 visa. What is the residency requirement?

Category: Visa for Australia

Question asked

I am in need of advice from an Immigration Lawyer.

I have applied for my subclass 190 visa last year and I am expecting to get the grant in a month or two. And I am going through a divorce process back in India. So I might have to travel a few times and might also need to stay there for an extended time if the court hearings are within short time frame.

So, my questions are:

1) Once I get my PR, can I go overseas and stay for an extended time? As in, within 12 months, if I stay for more than 6 months in India at a stretch, would that be a problem for my PR? Are there any restrictions on how much time I can spend overseas at a time?

2)I am planning to move to regional NSW. So, If I take a unit there and then move to India for a period of 6 months or more, would I still be considered a resident of regional NSW and can I submit my residency proof for any visa application? I mean, I want to sponsor my younger brother for a regional visa, so for that I need to show residency proof of a regional location. Would I be considered a resident if I stay overseas for more than 4-6 months at stretch?

Answer provided by Migration Agent


Thanks for your question, please see my response below.

1) Once you obtain the PR it's fine to travel to India. It's a 5-year permanent visa that can be renewed (resident return visa) - However there is generally a residency requirement. If you do not apply for Australian Citizenship and cannot meet the residency requirement for PR renewal the Department of Home Affairs may issue you a 1-year resident return visa (upon application) which will give you the ability to return to Australia if you are offshore or plan on departing Australia for a period.

2) To apply for citizenship, you need to be in Australia for 4 years and hold PR for at least 12 months - I am unsure how long you have been in Australia but from the information provided you should be able to satisfy the requirements over the upcoming 5 years.

3) I am unsure what you mean by residency proof, however the residency in regional will be good ties to Australia for your PR and potential citizenship application in the future. If you need to show supporting evidence, I would say being overseas for 6 months and only having a lease would may not constitute residency in Australia - as they may also check you travel records, bank statements, bills etc. so see if you were in Australia.

4) If you have the intention to reside in Australia and are travelling to India temporarily you are a resident of Australia.

I hope the above is helpful - feel free to message me in the messenger function for any clarifications. Or read more about the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190 visa)

------- Clarification Request ---------

Thanks for the response. So, travelling overseas and staying there for an extended period greater than 3 months would not be ideal when I am trying to sponsor my brother for regional PR. But can I travel overseas, stay there for 2 months, come back to Australia, and stay for 2 months and go back and so on?

Unfortunately as I am going through a divorce in India, I need to travel frequently if the court summons me.

And staying overseas for more than 4 months will not impact my PR visa once I get it? I can travel anywhere and stay there for more than 4-5 months. Right?

------ Clarification by Migration Agent ----------

Yes it will be fine to travel, it won’t affect your PR.

Thank you for using Ask-An-Agent. If you need further services from myself you can always message me using the Ask-An-Agent messenger. You can also reach me by contacting Amy at – and don’t forget to mention your question ID so that I can keep providing immigration services to you

Connect with Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers

75 Agents and Lawyers are currently online. View profiles and compare ratings before hiring your migration agent.

Ask-An-Agent is the trusted online marketplace connecting consumers and businesses with migration agents and immigration lawyers.

It's never been easier.

Connect with Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers today

List of Migration Agents


Or search the Immigration Blog for the latest updates

Immigration Blog


What is the difference between choosing Ask-An-Agent over Facebook Groups or other Forums?

Facebook Groups, Blogs and Forums are a great place for meeting people although they’re still the online equivalent of an anonymous village pub.

Answers on Facebook Groups, Blogs and Forums

  • are provided by complete strangers you may not know.
  • locked in time and may be outdated.
  • may not fit your unique set of circumstances.


Information provided by unqualified strangers is unreliable. Trusting it may be harmful to you.

It is your future and we believe you deserve qualified and affordable legal advice before preparing your visa application and spending your dollars.


Know that we have got your back

Migration Agents answering your Questions within Minutes

You get qualified legal answers online, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

Ask your questions online from the comfort of your home. A migration agent or immigration lawyer will provide a qualified and reliable answer in writing and by email to your inbox.

Ask your Questions


Get the Ask-An-Agent app

It is fast, easy and free!



The Ask-An-Agent community

Whether you’re hiring a migration agent or post your migration questions, know that we’ve got your back every step of the way.

Trust and Safety


Migration Agent Fees


Ask-An-Agent community members are celebrating the best migration agents, immigration advisors and immigration lawyers.

Congratulations to all the 2022 Immigration Choice Awards winners.

Immigration Choice Awards 2022


Meet your Migration Agents and Immigration Lawyers

View migration agent profiles. Read reviews from other community members who have already hired a migration agent.


Quick Links:

Migration Agents in Brisbane

Migration Agents in Melbourne

Migration Agents in Perth

Migration Agents in Sydney

Or meet with an Agent near you: Find Migration Agents near me


Promotion from our Partner

Info on ads